Friday 20 June 2014

The reasons we love gym

I sit under the hood,which hides my identity from the world, and stare down at my swollen hands which rest on lap facing downwards. The smell of sweat, blood, broken dreams and hopes fill my nostrils...this is my battlefield.


My chest rhythmically balloons up and down as I try recover while my head falls back and rests just over the cold leather bench which supports my back. Im focused, my eyes are now closed as I see the music in my mind that blares into my ears. The muffled noise to those which pass is my inspiration. Behind the music I can faintly make out the sound of clanging iron and shouts of encouragement. The dark room lightens slightly as the clock hits 5am. My shoulders are paining, there is little that can compare to the numb bulging feeling I feel in my arms. "You will amount to nothing," "You are going nowhere", the words of critics fill my conscious mind as I reach down and clench my weights...the only thing that doesn't lie to me, my only true friend, my brother, my advisor...my iron. I heave each dumbbell onto my thighs one at a time while never loosing sight of the faded number tippexed on the face of the plates. I have nothing left inside my muscles and the only energy pushing me forward is that of the cruel words whispered at me behind my back..."failure" I whisper to myself as my right leg kicks to assist me bringing the weight up to my shoulder. My left leg now kicks as I shove the second dumbbell to my shoulder. My back feels as if its breaking under the pressure but the motivation inside of me balances my spine. 


I compose myself, the calm before the storm...I am ready. You see because its never been about the weights I fling around nor the man I see in the mirror. It has simply become a punishment, a self inflicted yet passionate pain that moulds my mind, my character and my entire being. I clench my teeth as I throw the iron heavenly, my head feels as if its about to explode. As I lower the weights and catapult these dreams upwards again my neck muscles and back clench tightly. By the third repetition my arms shake violently. This is where champions are made I say over and over in my head as the sound of my heart beat thuds in my ear. I feel the throb of my heart in my eyes and head as I complete the fourth repetition. By the fifth, my arms are failing. I call upon my heart once more as I shut the excuses in my mind up for the last time. The weights clang in unison with my shaking arms and as they reach the summit of my repetition they begin pressing downwards quickly. Gravity seems stronger as ever as I throw the dumbbells into a pile on the floor in front of me. I drop my head once more, not looking up, staring...staring at my broken dreams. I stare at the veins in my hands, my shoulders are tighter than ever as my chest begins to balloon one more. A drop of blood falls onto my sweaty gym track pants as I continue to stare at the weights on the floor. I will never give up. I will continue to pursue perfection in everything I do. I am a man, full of courage, ready to chase a path less travelled in order to obtain a prize no man can touch, taste or feel. This is my battlefield.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters less than the story...

 Today I was running.  It is Sunday, my long run.  The run that builds endurance.  It builds stamina and everything I need to complete my ma...