Wednesday 18 June 2014

The dangerous road ahead

Kidnaping and violence in Kenya is on the rise, the issues of spiraled so far out of control that now, sitting safely in South Africa, I must sit up and take notice.

The word faith is often thrown around in our comfortable safe little lives. Setting foot in this country, alone and completely unaided starts to bring a new dimension to the word for me. It is true that I only leave on my Cairo to Cape Town Expedition in January 2015 and it is also possible that all these events have subsided by then, but the horrors being shown on the news today left a lump in my through.

It's gut churning to think, in a couple of months, I will be cycling into the unknown...and as I type on my keyboard again this word echoes in my subconscious, "faith." What does it mean? Who is for? The religious? The God fearing? The noble? I'm as lost as ever before as I dive deep into the meanings of the word and the various translations.

Just today I got an email from David Grier in connection with the new VISA law being passed in Kenya:

" Hi Keegan
The hardest part of this journey is going to get the visas. The same happened with the 2 guys who flew micro- lites down Africa. The other problem is the huge increase in terrorist activities with Boko- Haram. Word will travel ahead of you and you will be a target.You are going to have long stoppages at border posts and the rest.  

Kind Regards " 

Another travel UK government site offers advice to those traveling abroad to Kenya pleading with them to be vigilant of terrorist attacks. And all the while, my bicycle, being alone seems to complicate my situation further. I don't know what lies ahead, but I shall walk bravely with a God who has been with me since day 1. 

I will walk ahead in faith praying for people to keep me and Kenya in my thoughts and prayers when I leave on January 1 2015. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters less than the story...

 Today I was running.  It is Sunday, my long run.  The run that builds endurance.  It builds stamina and everything I need to complete my ma...