Thursday 30 October 2014

Taking risks and stepping to success: Ben Carson

I came across Ben Carson's literature a couple of weeks ago while strolling around a local book shop. I had some time to kill so decided to spend it sitting on the comfy leather couches in the store, reading the first chapter of the three different Carson books they had available. This was different to my usual book buying habits which mainly entailed me piling books into a basket, paying astronomical amounts for them (as far as book buying is concerned) and then sitting at home with enormous amount of books, with absolutely no intention of reading them all.

I paged through the first chapter and was highly impressed by the first book, and then highly impressed with the second and again the third. I must have read something wrong so I went back and read all three chapters, yet again being satisfied with all three. Surely you not gonna buy all three books Keegan?

So I ended walking out with all three. I tackled the first book entitled, Gifted hands, two days ago and am on the verge of finishing it. In the first thirty pages or so I had cried like a baby 5 times. 
"Surely you didn't really cry," said my girlfriend as we discussed the first book over some sushi at a local restaurant last night. "Can we not talk about this now, please," I said, tears now welling up in my eyes. I had cried, and cried properly. Carson's childhood was tougher than most of ours and I suppose if you have managed to log onto the internet now with your laptop, smart phone or tablet and  are now reading this, your childhood has definitely been better than old Ben Carson from Detroit.

Thinking most of the crying was done, I came across a a chapter called, A Girl Named Maranda. By now, Ben is the head surgeon at John Hopkins hospital at the age of just 33 and already rising to be a top Neurosurgeon and perhaps one of the greatest that has ever lived. Maranda 4 had travelled across the country with her parents after being rejected at hundreds of hospitals previously.
"Mr.Freeman you are our last hope," said the little girls mom. Maranda sat silently listening, hoping not to have one of her seizures that had become a usual part of her day. Without surgury she would get weaker and die within months. 
"Is that right, we may be able to help you," said Mr Freeman.
And then something interesting happens. Mr Freeman calls Carson in to discuss the girls case and whether and ask him, "have you ever heard of a hemispherectomy, I doubt you have Benny."
"I have, read up about it last week, never done one,"
"Is that right, can you do one, it might save this little girl,"
and then ben says, "it sounds reasonable to me."

Let put this in perspective. This surgery hasn't been done in 20 years, most previous attempts ended in 95% failure and death rate and the success of the patients that did survive were severely mentally handicapped. It is reasonably possible? Seriously? Is my reasonably  possible different to a usual man? I think not!

Ben goes and reads up on the surgery and gains more knowledge in the field, calls in the girls parents and tell them he will do it. He is blatantly honest with them and explains the possible complications that might occur of which the worst is death. 

What an incredible man! So lets break this down. What separates the great from the average?

1) The hunger and will to try:
Ben made it his business to educate himself in fields that weren't even in his expertise. When an opportunity arose, he had read about it the week before. The possibilities that he may have never heard of the surgery procedure may have severely influenced his decision to do the surgery. He is willing to try, he asks not; "what if I fail," he asks,"what happens if I don't try," and the answer was, she would die anyway. 

2) Read, learn grow, never settle:
Ben and his brother had to read two books a week instead of watching tv. Their mom, even though poor and struggling realized that self betterment was a way to succeed in life. now I'm not talking about traditional schooling systems I'm talking about extra work, reading up on topics you have an interest in. Ben said "become a professional, read up on any field you love, it will hold you in good stead on day and it will pay off."

3) Courage:
Be different and always look to try new things. Be accountable for your actions and go out hard knowing that failure is a step forward. Be willing to try, don't sink behind possibility of failure. Stand up, raise your hand and be the one who is willing to put their ego aside and try and possibly fail. For the Lord has not given us a spirit of fear...ever!

I haven't even read about him doing the surgery yet, can you believe it? I just sat down and started writing, inspired by his will to try. Now I know he is one of the worlds greatest and fail or succeed in this next surgery he still becomes great! Will definitely let you guys know how the surgery goes! 
Kunjani

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters less than the story...

 Today I was running.  It is Sunday, my long run.  The run that builds endurance.  It builds stamina and everything I need to complete my ma...