Sunday 3 July 2016

Morocco to Norway: a tale in pictures

The plan was simple, to cycle 10 000km across Europe, from Morocco, Casablanca to Norway. I guess the full plan was to reach NoordKap in Norway but financially I just couldn't reach it...But what an incredible journey! Heres my favorite pictures from Each country and a little summary of each. I hope you enjoy it!


And off I went from Johannesburg International Airport. I caught two flights, one took me to Cairo where I had a stop over and met an amazing young South African on his way to Germany from Cape Town. A month after I got home, I realized that my new friend Dylan, had tragically passed away, taking his own life...the news shocked me. The second flight took me from Cairo to the beautiful city of Casablanca. 


I met some incredible people in Morocco, here I am with a group of students and young men. We sang songs, played guitar and ate a traditional dish served with fresh bread. These guys had so little to share, but their love and hospitality was heart warming. I met them that day, travelled around town with them, slept over at their house and left the next day...they will remain friends for life and we are still in contact. 


I soon realized that the scenery in Morocco was nothing like I had ever seen in Africa. It is a beautifully diverse country with a strong European influence. Its clean, everything works well and the people are super kind, except for one group of teenagers who tried to rob me. After a short fist fight I managed to get away, all in a days adventure. 


When I saw these camels on a beach close to Tangier, I knew I couldnt waste the opportunity to get closer. I parked my bike in a nearby bush and ran down to the beach. I found an old bearded shepherd there who happened to speak English. I chatted to him and he offered me a ride on one of them. Riding a camel on the beach in Morocco, what an incredible thing to experience! 


Hola Amigo! After a week or so I had ridden all the way to Tangier, hopped on a Ferry and left Africa to enter Spain. The beaches were simply wonderful, the sunsets golden and the people exotic and romantically dedicated to their lives. Sleep, great food and family were things valued very highly in Spain. 


Cycling along the Camino Santiago in certain areas was a profoundly beautiful spiritual journey. To think that pilgrims have walked these ancient routes for thousands of years is thought provoking. 


Although it was beautiful, it was cold! Here on top of a mountain, snowing and well below zero. I took my gloves and balaclava off for the photo. 


Posing at a beautiful cathedral next to the brass statue on the Camino Santiago the pilgrims way. I really think Spain was built on Cobble Stones! The architecture blew my mind. 


And then I got to France! The prices went up, so from the border I decided a tent would be the way to go! Which was difficult because of the cold! France was everything I imagined and more. Great foods, great coffee, beautiful towns, concertina's playing in the streets...it was simply amazing. 




I took a train from Paris to Switzerland Zurich for a well deserved break. It was the greatest decision I made. I met the Gahwiller family who impacted my life greatly! Their love for each other, service to family and kindness literally transformed my view on the world and to this day their example inspired me! I found a new family in Switzerland. 


Back on the road after a week off. Camping and cooking in Belguim 


Castles and cobbles in Belguim 


Watching the Giro d Italia in Appeldoorn Netherlands!


Camping along a river in Amsterdam


Thinking about life in the forests of Germany


Denmark and Scandanavia were the most green and lush countries I have ever travelled to.


Setting up camp close to the sea outside Copenhagen. 


Eating lunch along a quiet road in Sweden


Camping in Norway! Free and beautiful


Messing around at a CrossFit in Oslo


An emotional journey done! The time had come to return home. Overlooking the lake in front of the place I stayed in Norway. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters less than the story...

 Today I was running.  It is Sunday, my long run.  The run that builds endurance.  It builds stamina and everything I need to complete my ma...