Thursday 31 July 2014

Off to Malawi

I'm not to sure if I do want to climb onto an aero plane after all the news of the Malaysia and Algerian Airlines recently. Although I'm nervous, I'm also very excited to be part of something so much bigger than myself.

Tomorrow Operation Smile have decided to take this adventurer to Malawi to experience a mission with them. During the ten day excursion, the organization will perform cleft and lip surgeries on those who ho don't have access to decent health care in Malawi. It's quite special to know that the money we have raised for 18 surgeries last year during my annual cycle trip to Cape Town will be put towards a transformation of lives.

I have no idea what to expect. I take off alone in a plane full of strangers headed for the capital of Malawi tomorrow and there will wait for whoever will pick me up and transport to the hotel the volunteers will be staying in.  It's something out of a movie. A young man heading off into the unknown, into a country he has never been. All the while I'm relishing in the knowledge that the core of a mans spirit come from new experiences.

I'm expecting tears and a deep felt heart wrenching move deep within my being for these ten days. I'm so delighted to be part of something so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters less than the story...

 Today I was running.  It is Sunday, my long run.  The run that builds endurance.  It builds stamina and everything I need to complete my ma...